Thursday, February 2, 2017

Believe Canvas


Another month has rolled around and that means it is time for a new challenge at Stamps and Stencils.  Rachel, our hostess this month, wants us to create with Texture, Crackle and Paint. She describes it this way:

"This month I would love to see what you come up with using texture, crackle and paint! Anything goes using stamps and/or stencils - make it mixed media please. Can't wait to get started - hope you'll join us!"

I have made a canvas with lots of texture. If any of you have read my blog lately you will know that I lost some files recently and a few of the process files for this one were part of that accident but I will explain what I did.


I started by making a template for a heart as shown on the left. Then I cut one out of chipboard and gave it a coat of Liquitex Gesso as shown on the right.

The next step was to coat it with Golden Light Molding Paste using a credit card to smear it on. I wasn't too careful to make it smooth and actually went in afterwards and roughed it up a bit. Once the paste was dry I painted it with a bit of Fresco Finish Haystack and Blood Orange Chalk Acrylic leaving bits white. I sealed the heart with a watered down coat of Mod Podge.


Next I grabbed a 6" square canvas, gave it a coat of Liquitex Gesso and then added some stenciling with the Light Molding Paste and a TCW stencil called Mini Pattern Stripes and a Prima Zig-Zag stencil.

At this point I added some strips of Recollections Washi tape, some Tim Holtz Tissue tape and bits of Tim Holtz Postale Tissue Wrap.  I gave everything another light coat of Gesso.

The next photos are a bit confusing because I had to recreate them after the accident but the narrative below will explain what I did in what order.



I added some colour with IndigoBlu Townhouse Teal Acrylic Paint and Fresco Finish Haystack and Blood Orange along with some Ceramcoat White.

Next I did some stamping with a stamp from an IndigoBlu set called Tasty Textures along with some stenciling with a TCW stencil called Mini Geometric Art Layers.  In both cases I used Jet Black Archival Ink.  I also decided to add some Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture Paste through the stencil.

I also added a heart made from Tim Holtz Frosted Film on the bottom right corner that I painted with Blood Orange and I stenciled another heart on the top left corner with a Hearts stencil from Heidi Swapp.

Once everything was dry I sealed the canvas with watered down Mod Podge, added the large heart and a piece of wooden text that I painted with IndigoBlu Raven Black Metallic Paint.

This canvas is a bit of a departure for me but was lots of fun to make and is quite cheerful.  I hope you will join us for this challenge and show us lots of texture.

5 comments:

  1. A fabulous departure Cec, great mixing of contrasting colours, love the textured heart...fantastic and beautiful! Ruth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very vibrant and so fun Cec! What a wonderful creation and those colors are beautiful. Every time I look at it I find a new color. So sorry to hear about your files but you sure know how to persevere. Wowzers on that textured heart. Hope you are doing well. Hugz to you muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours Cec, so refreshing . Love it . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. bright and beautiful Cec - I love your canvas - it really does look like you had lots of fun! Big hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing canvas Cec, fabulous layers and colours! So sorry you had computer problems and lost some of your files but thank you so much for recreating your project for us with your great description! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec