Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Fall Scarecrow


It is time for the next challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  Kathy is our hostess this time and she calls it To Everything There is a Season.  Here is what she has to say about it:

Fall is one of the most beautiful seasons of the year. Brilliant leaves, fall flowers, crisp blue skies, and migrating geese fill the season with a sense of wonder and anticipation You're invited to create a vintage or shabby chic project that captures the beauty of fall. You can make a card, a tag, share a journal entry or any kind of project you desire. Just be sure to create it in the shabby chic or vintage style and be sure to use fall (not Halloween) images and colors.

I have made a card with a very vintage image of a scarecrow out in the field with his warm clothing on.


I started with some Bazzill card stock for the blank.  Then I cut a panel of paper from Graphic 45 Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea for my background.  I stamped it with the Vintage Wallpaper stamp (Wendy Vecchi) using her Tree Branch Archival Ink.  I distressed the edges and inked them with some Gather Twigs Distress Ink (Tim Holtz for Ranger).

Next I cut a tag shape from some paper from Graphic 45 Time to Flourish, distressed and inked it and then added it to a larger tag of brown card stock (Recollections).  The hole was punched with an EK Success punch and then I added a reinforcement (Avery) that I inked with Gathered Twigs DI.

Some seam binding was dyed with Wild Honey DI and added to the top of the tag.

I cut the text from the bottom of the vintage image to use as a separate sentiment although it is really dark so you have to bring up a larger version of the photo to read it.  The image was distressed, inked and mounted on some brown card stock.


Next I die cut all the leaves and branches from the Fall Foliage die set (Tim Holtz for Sizzix) using a variety of colours from the Kraft Core Shattered Collection (Tim Holtz).  Each piece was inked on the edges and veins with Gathered Twigs DI and shaped a bit from the back with a large embossing tool.


The sunflower image was a digital freebie I got a few years ago from Beccy's Place.  I printed it three times on a scrap of white card stock and then cut two of them apart so that when I layered them, the flower had a dimensional look.  The flowers were coloured with  pencil crayons (Prismacolor) and blended with OMS (Gotrick).

I added some black microbeads to the centre of the top flower before I layered them together and then tucked a loopy bow made from burlap string under the sunflower when I added it to the card.

5 comments:

  1. I adore sunflowers, so I super love this card! How clever to use Voyage Beneath the Sea for the background paper. I would never have thought of doing that. Your fall leaves are gorgeous and I love the vintage scarecrow image. Yep, it's fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, it's fall all over the place.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just screaming fall splendor, Cec! I love your layered sunflower, the fabulous image and your gorgeous leaves. I've never used kraft core to cut leaves and will have to try that. I especially love the sentiment you added, really sweet. <3 Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fall colors and elements on your gorgeous card, Cec! I love the sunflowers and that windblown scarecrow! Oh how I long for those cooler days! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cec this is wonderful! The scarecrow is so cool as your main image and than all the beautiful leaves and flower make it wow! Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec