Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Jewel Tones


It is time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie and I am the hostess this time.  I am calling the challenge Elegant Jewels and here is how I describe it:

Let's make a vintage or shabby chic project in jewel tone colours such as deep purple, emerald green, jade green, burgundy, bright turquoise to name a few AND to make your project extra special, add some sort of jewel or gem, which can be anything from a dollar store find to a piece of broken jewelry.

I created a z-fold card for this challenge and used papers from the Graphic 45 Fairie Dust pad.  I made this the week I looked after my Grandchildren and since I was so scatter brained at the time, I totally forgot to take process photos.  Forgive my lapse but I will describe how it came together.

1.  Cut a purple card blank 6" x 12" (Recollections) and score on the long side at 3" and 6".  Fold in half at the 6" score line and then fold the 3" score line back toward the 6" fold making a z-fold.


2.  Finish the inside first.  The right side has a patterned paper panel topped by a sentiment that I created on the computer, inked with Dusty Concord Distress Ink and mounted on a purple card mat.  Fussy cut stamps from the paper pad and adhere on either side of the sentiment.
3.  The left side has a patterned paper panel topped with corners cut from a different paper and punched with a lace edge punch (Martha Stewart).


4.  Add a panel of patterned paper to the front.
5.  Cut a purple mat large enough to cover the sentiment panel.
6.  Die cut a doily from purple card stock using a Crochet Doily die (Prima), cut it in half and add to the right side of the purple mat.  Top with a fussy cut image from the paper pad.


7.  Cut leaves from the Garden Greens (Mini) die (Tim Holtz) using purple and blue card stock.  Adhere to the front panel.
8.  Dye seam binding with Dusty Concord Distress Ink (Tim Holtz) and create a loopy bow.  Create another loopy bow from burlap string and add with a button to the top of the seam binding bow.  Tuck a variety of purple toned flowers on both sides of the bow.


9.  Add a gem on top of the doily.

There you have it - a card in jewel tones. I hope you will join in on the challenge and show us your elegant jewels. You have until 11:55 pm on April 24th.

By the way, there is a story behind the gem.  I have a lot of my late Mother-in-Law's costume jewelry.  She wore clip-on earrings every day until her dementia got so bad that she was losing one or both - by then she was 92.  I figured there would be something in that pile that would work on this card so I dug through the bag and lo and behold I found this earring.  Now I was looking in the bag in a closet late at night and I thought I had a teal coloured earring and it would be fabulous.  

The next morning I realized it was royal blue so I had to balance it on the card, which is why there are some blue leaves.  I actually dyed some white flowers with Blueprint Sketch Distress Ink and put them on the card but after looking at it for a few days, I realized how much I despised blue flowers and replaced them, which made me much happier.  I come by my dislike of blue flowers and lots of other blue things honestly because my late Mother collected blue glass and I inherited over 800 pieces of it - needless to say, I have sold most of it and only kept a few sentimental pieces.

6 comments:

  1. This is so completely gorgeous, Cec! I updated your blog link in the Frilly Funkie post as you had linked back to the Frilly Funkie blog instead of your own personal blog. I can see how that would happen when you had the grandkids all week! Yikes! I can't believe you even found the time to create such a gorgeous card in the middle of all that hubbub. Love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the prettiest cards I've seen Cec! I just love how you layered your purple flowers and bow. What a great fold and the doily adds so much contrast. I simply love it! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is gorgeous!!
    I love the colours and that paper..which I just purchased by the way.
    I love the fold of this card as well.
    I have been watching my grandson all week and haven't been crafting at all...but love being with him

    ReplyDelete
  4. This challenge is so fun! I love the beautiful purples you used and mixed with the fabulous shades of blue. Gorgeous card! Beautiful embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous inside and out Cec! Love the jewel colours you've picked up from those delicious papers and the design of the card is so clever xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I just love these colors! That gorgeous fluffy bow topped with the loopy twine bow just kill me, and those roses are just beautiful! Cec, this is another favorite for me! Interestingly, my friend inherited a huge collection of blue glass as well. I wonder what my kids are going to think when they inherit a ton of dies and paint! ('Why didn't she leave us any jewelry?') Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec